Project: End-of-Life skills audit
Why is it important?
The End of Life Strategy (2008) outlines, caring for people at the end-of-life is one of the most important and rewarding areas of care, and healthcare staff having the relevant knowledge and skills is immeasurably satisfying to the family. Yet only a limited number of health and social care professionals have had a sufficient training around all aspects of end-of-life care.
What are we trying to do?
We are working collaboratively with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to identify the end-of-life care learning and development needs of their local community, primary and palliative / end-of-life care workforce. To achieve this, a baseline assessment of the current levels of confidence and perceived skills to deliver end-of-life care will be performed. In doing so, we will work closely with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to identify key areas for the workforce to improve the current level of end-of-life care knowledge and skills.
- Understand about the level of awareness, knowledge and skills staff currently hold about end-of-life care.
- Identify the learning and development needs of the workforce.
- Perform a gap analysis to identify potential areas for improvement and, in turn, work with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to identify suitable end-of-life specific learning opportunities to address areas of need.
How will we do it?
Participants will be identified in consultation with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust and the Oldham end-of-life partnership group. We will use a survey to collect data; this will be available in both electronic and paper formats to ensure that we do not alienate certain groups of professionals.
The data will be analysed and benchmarked against local and national end-of-life guidelines; we will feed this back to the professional groups and work with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to look at opportunities around their end-of-life training provision.
- A baseline of current end-of-life care knowledge and skills of staff
- Improved targeted provision of educational resources for the workforce
- A survey which can be used to ascertain end-of-life knowledge and skills of staff
Who are we working with?