Implementation & Evaluation Resources
On this page you will find links to a range of resources which will help you to develop robust and effective evaluation techniques.
- At NIHR CLAHRC Greater Manchester, we hold workshops for professionals who are interested in learning about how to conduct evaluations. Delivered by our Director, Professor Ruth Boaden and Senior Research Fellow, Paul Wilson, one such workshop, which focussed on how to design robust evaluations, was held for Salford Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) in September and October 2016. You can view the presentation slides for that workshop here
- Evidence Informed Implementation Workshop, July 2017
Enter password below to download the Introduction powerpoint
Enter password below to download the Implementation Research powerpoint
Enter password below to download the Theories and Frameworks powerpoint
Enter password below to download the Planning powerpoint
Enter password below to download the Stakeholders powerpoint
Enter password below to download the Evaluation powerpoint
Enter password below to download the Workshop Resources
>Guides to Evaluation
- CLAHRC Evaluation guide – NIHR CLAHRC Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Rutland.
- Evaluation: What to consider – The Health Foundation.
- ESS Guides – developed by Evaluation Support Scotland
- Logic Model Guide – developed for NHS England Vanguards
- Evaluation Works – resources developed by the NIHR CLAHRC West and the West of England Academic Health Science Network
- Developing and evaluating complex interventions – Medical Research Council
- Process evaluation of complex interventions – Medical Research Council
- Ideal framework for surgical innovation 1: the idea and development stages – McCulloch et al
>Academic Papers and Reports on Evaluation Approaches
- Evaluating the introduction of innovations into routine health and social care: balancing rigour and resources – Ruth Boaden, Paul Wilson, Gill Harvey
- Plans to accelerate innovation in health systems are less than IDEAL – BMJ Qual Saf 2015; pii: bmjqs-2015-00460, Lamont T et al
- New approaches to evaluating complex health and care systems – BMJ 2016; 352:i154; Raine et al
- Challenges, solutions and future directions in the evaluation of service innovations in health care and public health – Health Services and Delivery Research 2016 4:16 [long and very ‘academic’]
>Other Useful Information
- Perspectives on context – The Health Foundation Needs to be added: Video Resources
Professor John Øvretveit, one of the world’s leading experts in health service, implementation and quality research, ran a workshop on project evaluation designed specifically for the NIHR CLAHRC Greater Manchester team.
The interactive workshop was designed to enable our team to:
- Learn more about how to plan, implement and report complex evaluations
- Hear about each others’ work
- Network with colleagues across our different themes of work
- Get feedback on the design of our ongoing evaluations from Professor Øvretveit and other workshop participants.
The event concluded with a lecture from Professor Øvretveit titled ‘Evaluating quality improvements and implementation’ (view slides) and an open Q&A session. Professor Øvretveit kindly agreed for his lecture, open Q&A and a private Q&A to be filmed. The lecture and open Q&A can be viewed below, and a series of short Q&As are also available.
John Øvretveit lecture: Evaluating quality improvements and implementation