- Develop an evidence base surrounding the implementation and effectiveness of kidney health prevention initiatives, understand and addressing gaps at population level
- Engage with partner organisations at a strategic level, other organisations and primary care providers in order to build relationships to deliver future initiatives
- Increase understanding and involvement to raise the profile of kidney health/conditions in professionals and the general public
- Facilitate self-management in the context of patient safety and medicine management to improve outcomes.
Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Address the gap between expected and observed prevalence of CKD
- Improve the detection and management of CKD in general practice
- Improve blood pressure control for patients with CKD according to National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidance.
Acute kidney injury (AKI)
- Improve the prevention, detection and management of AKI in primary and secondary care, and across the interface
- Develop and implement resources to improve care for patients at risk of, or who have experienced, AKI
- Understand the processes of audit and feedback to support the implementation of AKI initiatives
- Explore the experience of care for patients with an episode of care complicated by AKI
- Evaluate the implementation of AKI quality improvement initiatives.
- Provide a platform for a large scale evaluation of complex interventions to support improved kidney health
- Better understand the barriers and enablers to facilitate change
- Support developments for awareness raising, education, behavioural change and implementation/quality improvement
- Co-creation, engagement and involvement, and the development of a ‘community’ for kidney health change, to be a feature of communications activities
- Develop enduring partnerships, both locally, regionally and nationally, to facilitate alignment and/or collaboration with wider initiatives
- Make a significant contribution to the strategic goals of CLAHRC Greater Manchester and the NIHR.
Projects within this programme
Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Greater Manchester Academic Health Science Network
NHS Bury Clinical Commissioning Group
NHS Central Manchester Clinical Commissioning Group
NHS Salford Clinical Commissioning Group
Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
Please contact Dr Susan Howard, Programme Manager.
All of our latest programme and project updates are on our news page.